X
Vista Alegre

VISTA ALEGRE'S CHAPEL

capela

capela_interior



Nossa Senhora da Penha de França chapel

The Nossa Senhora da Penha de França chapel was built in the late 17th century by order of the bishop of Miranda, Manuel de Moura Manuel and is one of the main points of interest of the Quinta da Vista Alegre.

This is an imposing building with beautiful architecture, which in the main façade, depicts a rich stone-carved image of the Nossa Senhora da Penha de França, Patroness of Vista Alegre. Inside the chapel, stand out the 17th century tiles of Gabriel del Barco, the marble altarpieces, the gilded woodcarvings, and the domes decorated with beautiful frescos. In the span of the Chancel stands the imposing tomb of Bishop Manuel de Moura Manuel, a magnificent work in stone from Ançã, by the artist Claude Laprade, which is one of the greatest points of interest of this building.

In 2015 the Chapel underwent an extensive restoration project, coordinated by the DRCC and DGPC, which covered all the historical and structural heritage of this eighteenth-century building, returning to the visitor's eyes its exuberant beauty.

The Capela da Vista Alegre was purchased on public auction on the 26th of October 1816 by José Ferreira Pinto Basto and it was classified as National Monument in 1910.

Check Opening hours and tickets for more information about tours to the chapel.

If you are interested in renting the space for religious ceremonies or events, please contact: museu@vistaalegre.com / (00351) 234 320 628.